Economic Development Commission
- Fourth Tuesday of every month
- 8 a.m.
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes
Members (Two - year terms)
- Shalom Klein, Chair
- Howard Meyer, Vice Chair
- Billy Haido
- David Jacobson
- Sergey Khalimsky
- Barbara Carley
- Erica Minchella
- Dave Putrus
- Dave Rahija
- Brad Rosen
- Michael Rosen
- Edwin Vdovets
- Karen Gray-Keeler, Trustee Liaison
- Leslie Murphy, Staff Liaison
- Len Becker, Staff Liaison
New Skokie Targeted Economic Development Strategy
Click here to view the new Skokie Targeted Economic Development Strategy.
Since its inception in 2013, The Village of Skokie Economic Development Commission has been a critical resource for elected officials, Village staff, Skokie businesses, the region, and state as a whole. On August 7, 2017 Commission Chairman Shalom Klein, and Economic Development Manager Len Becker presented the 2017-2020 Village of Skokie Targeted Economic Strategy and Framework to the Village of Skokie Board of Trustees and the general public.
The presentation was the culmination of a 2+ year process as Commission members, staff, and community members have given hundreds of hours of time and significant effort to create the document. The tenets of the strategy and framework are based on a number of best practices from a broad base of communities throughout the region and U.S., as well as specific practices recommended and relevant for Skokie. The Targeted Economic Development Strategy and Framework is meant to be the foundation and focus towards the future for the Village as we seek to maximize opportunities to their highest and most worthwhile potential. In addition, this document is inclusive and appreciates and embraces the community as a whole while recognizing the human, financial, institutional, and social impacts the economic vitality of the Village has overall.
The Skokie Economic Development Commission is committed to the continued growth of industrial and commercial developments in the Village. As a working Commission, it provides input from all aspects of the Skokie business community. In an advisory capacity, this Commission made up of Skokie business members provides a sounding board, researching and analyzing issues affecting the quality of life in the Village. It is a resource for elected officials and staff to explore new economic development ideas and changes to Village policies. This Commission may consider and introduce new economic development ideas for consideration to elected officials and staff.
- Provide input on matters to facilitate sound economic growth and business development.
- Examine opportunities for fostering an attractive economic climate within the Village with respect to both existing and potential new organizations.
- Recommend additional steps and measures to promote economic growth by retaining businesses and attracting new commerce and industry.
- Collaborate with Village elected officials and staff to realize appropriate goals and objectives relating to sound business policies, an increased tax base and increased employment opportunities.
- Feature a business each meeting as part of its business retention program to educate the community about the business and to recognize the contribution the business has made to Skokie.
- Interact with other commissions on matters of joint interest or initiatives.
The Economic Development Commission is committed to the continued growth of industrial and commercial developments in the Village. This advisory Commission, made up of Skokie business members, provides a sounding board, researching and analyzing issues affecting the quality of life in the Village as they relate to economic development. It is a resource for elected officials and staff to explore new economic development ideas.
Creation of Commission Ordinance
Read the Economic Development Commission Creation Ordinance (PDF).
The Commission consists of twelve appointed commissioners and is staffed by advisors from the Village's Economic Development Division. Commissioners serve a two-year term and are professionals representing a variety of aspects of the local business community.
For more information regarding the Economic Development Commission, please contact Len Becker or Leslie Murphy at 847-933-8447.